Monday, January 31, 2011
Focus, focus, what's go the focus?
When did I begin to want to be a housewife. Cuz that's what I feel like most days. I just wanna meet someone and settle down. Is this the deep seeded midwestern-ism, sitting inside of me? I remember a Micah who while he was very interested in finding a partner in life, at the same time primarily cared about his career. And now it almost feels the reverse. It feels like while I would like to get acting jobs, the main thing that I want in life is a partner. Someone who I can spend my life with. Why can't I find a better balance between the two things? Are these two aspects of my life that are destined to be out of balance for the rest of it? To be Carrie Bradshaw for a moment, I couldn't help but wonder, is it possibly to be completely fulfilled in your career and your love life. I guess that if you were at least looking at most people the answer would seemingly be yes. And I guess yes, there have been instances where I was fulfilled within both areas of my life. But in an ultimate purposey kinda way... I dunno. It's interesting to look at my parents as models. Mom has never really had any TRUE career ambitions. I think that ultimately she has seen her role as a caretaker and or housewife. She never saw herself as booksmart, though she is a pretty damn smart woman. She and my dad met in college, dated for two years and got married. The career baton in their relationship has always belonged to my father. He literally never dated anyone till my mom. She was his first girlfriend. How amazing is that? He underwent some pretty crazy career stuff though. Initially he was going to be a pastor, but didn't, until he reached seminary, realize that he didn't want to do that. At the same time though, it's never seemed as though he compromised his integrity when comes to jobs. And the one job he got that he couldn't stand (for more than an hour) he quit (for the record, it was a Wendy's). But my dad was in school till I was 15. He was I believe, 45. Does this mean that I am doomed to not REALLY know or really settle into a career until I'm middle aged? I know that I am my own person, but at the same time, you have to wonder (again with the Bradshaw) how much our parents and their relationships really inform ours. Well, the caffeine is kicking in, and so the introspection is leaving me... but I'm sure I may have more thoughts on this soon...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment