Sunday, January 10, 2010

I'm Just Not That Into Him Just Not Being That Into Me

So...

-New Template... I think I like it.

-I fear saying this, because I feel as though if I put it out there, it becomes this thing that I constantly have hanging over me, and it negates itself. I wonder if it's like being breezy... because saying you're breezy negates the breeziness... BUT... I think that about a yearish after the fact, I am finally okay with being single again. I don't know what happened or how this switch got switched... but it did... I think. I can't tell for sure. I've also had rather successful dates the last two nights in a row. Last night Nikki and I both got Leann Chinn, grabbed a few things at Target, met some friends for some wine, and watched Beyoncé's I Am... Yours concert. All in all a fun successful date. Then tonight, Shannon and I rented a movie from Blockbuster, grabbed half off apps from Applebees, went grocery shopping, and watched He's Just Not That Into You. Again, all in all a very successful, fun, date night. And after walking out of Shannon's I got into my car, and briefly thought about Brian briefly, and I realized that while I miss him, I also am okay with being single right now. I've got great friends, can still watch and think about movies, have people who want to spend time with me. All in all... my life is okay right now. Granted, I'm terrified about the fact that I don't have much money, and what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life, but in this aspect... the one that I've been pretty much freaking out about since last spring break, I'm finally feeling calmer. Now of course, everyone says, as soon as you get to this point, someone else comes along. I would like to be very clear. I don't expect this to happen. I'm not putting this out there, expecting for that to come. Because that DOES sound like a very me thing to do. But somehow, magically that's not the case. Weird.

-So Finnegan and I watched He's Just Not That Into You tonight. While I don't know if I can say that I liked the movie, I will say it caused me to do some thinking, which is not what your normal romantic comedy does. To quote Nikki:
A) for 1) Why do none of my friends ever set me up with guys? Apparently this happens all the time. And yet, though I know my friends have other gay friends, I rarely get the set up. There have been 3 times this has happened. 1. Geoff (and it wasn't even Kelsey who tried to set me up, it was MJ) 2. Brian (Which was only really a mini set up...) 3. Nick. To me Nick was the closest thing to a set up that has happened to me. And even then, it was "Oh, you think he's cute? I'll introduce you." And props to Serena for doing even that! :) In theory, however, it could have gone something like this. The night we hung out, Serena could have said, "Oh! I have this really great guy friend who I think you would really like. You guys should totally grab a drink while you're in the city." That way, we could have had much more time to get to know each other etc. Now granted, I realize that I'm being a little cynical and irrational at this point. But still, I never get set-up really, ever. I'm ALWAYS the one who finds a cute guy. Then again, more and more, it seems like no one really truly goes on DATES anymore. And if they do, it's through some online dating something or other. Okay, I could write for a LOT more on this topic, so I'm going to move on.
B) for 2) Gays are ONLY secondary background characters who don't have real relationships, and walk around, limp-wristedly giving relationship advice. This is what one is to believe from this movie. Granted, kudos are in order for actually acknowledging the fact that gays are out there. But at the same time, I would have almost rather there were no gays in the film at all. Because all it did was further a stereotype. And with the approximately 8 different stories or relationships that were going on in this film, there was not one gay couple portrayed. GRRRRR. AND THEN. There was this whole bit about gay signals being different, basically saying that the only signals guys give each other is about sleeping together. If you make more than 3 seconds of eye contact then its on. GOD! WHAT COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT!!!! yuck. I can't even deal with talking about that any more.
C) for 3) Scarlett Johansson is a dirty skanky ho. A home wrecking ho.

Okay there's more, but in my head there's lots more. Like I could write many paragraphs on various different points. And I'm tired and want to watch LOST. So that's what I'm going to do.

1 comment:

  1. I love date night with Micah. Even if the movies I pick piss you off! :) Watch Elizabeth today, there are no gay stereotypes in that movie and Cate Blanchett is way better that Scarlet Hohansen. Much love!

    ReplyDelete