Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chalk This Up to ANOTHER Late Night Ramble

So...

-I just watched the movie Elizabeth. It's been one that I've been wanting to watch for quite sometime now, but I just hadn't been in the right mood. Man, do I have a list of movie's I've been wanting to watch for quite sometime now. In someways it's distracting and a bit horrifying to me that before I die, I will not watch all the movies that I have wanted to watch. I don't quite know why. One might say that I should get out there and live life, rather than observe it on film. But film can be so much more to me than a "movie." First off every time I watch ANYTHING be it film or television (really, why do we separate these two things? Television is filmed, and film is often watched on television) I feel as though I get a free acting lesson. Elizabeth was NO exception to the rule. I can't quite pinpoint what was so magical about that movie to me, but it WAS. Cate Blanchett... wow. In terms of consummate performers I would put her in a category to me inhabited quite possibly only by Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet. WHAT? Am I blaspheming? Have I not included my beloved Nicole Kidman? Yes, I love her. And I think that she's amazingly fantastic. And while initially I was going to say that I put her in a different category, I change my mind. This category is now filled by Meryl, Kate, Cate, and Nicole. I'm sure that if I thought about it, there might be one or two more that I would put into that column as well. As for other actresses I respect, well they are the younger ones. I'd but them in my "Younger Actresses who will one day become Grande Dames to me" ie: Amy Adams, Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman. Wow... what was supposed to be a bit with me extolling the virtues of a beautiful film like Elizabeth, has degenerated in to my kinda rambling on about actresses. I think that 4:17 in the am MIGHT be too late to form any coherent thought with which to write. Though late at night is when I feel probably the most verbose out of anytime of day. MAN I love that word!


In the words of one Cara Gorman... "I'm choosing to end this now"

Though I invite you: Do you have different categories of actors or actresses? Who are your favorites? Or do you just have one big melting pot? Perhaps sometime soon, I will compile a list. Though that might be boring for everyone BUT myself. Okay. Seriously. I'm stopping.


1 comment:

  1. Nicole Kidman? Really? Please explain this choice to me.

    I have another category of actors/actresses: Watchable. These are people who never seem like their acting, and while they are not always fully transformative or tackling difficult roles, they are damn fascinating and purely entertainment every time.

    Actors: Robert Downey Jr., Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp (though he also consummate). I will watch anything these 3 are in purely on guarantee of entertainment.

    Actresses: Sandra Bullock, Rachel McAdams, Kathy Bates, Sandra Oh, Bette Midler, there are more, but I'm not thinking of them right this moment.

    ReplyDelete