After getting maybe an hour of sleep, I left for the cities at 3 am. Dad was kind enough to drive me, so I was able to at least sleep in the car. I got to the airport checked in, and the whole flight went pretty much without a hitch. I had a connecting flight in Milwaukee, and once I got on the plane to NYC I was OUT like a light. I pretty much passed out for the entire flight. My plan was to come up to Jeff's apartment and take a nap. Two pretty bizarre things happened however. First involved my cab ride. Jeff had told me that the fare was gonna be around 15 bucks with tip. However, it seemed as though the cab driver took some roundabout route, which drove the fare up to 20.20, which was not good because I only had a 20 dollar bill. The driver was very kind, and let me just pay my $20 however. I don't think that all cab drivers would have done this. Then after that, I got up Jeff's apartment, found his spare key, and turned it. It didn't go. I tried multiple times, and called Jeff who said that the key should work. It did not however, which really sucked. I ended up hiding my suitcase outside of Jeff's and heading over to Maggie's to take a nap. On my way over my laptop bag broke. And I don't mean in the way that one of the pins came unscrewed. I mean, a piece literally snapped in two! In the middle of the road. It was kind of a rocky start to my trip! I kinda felt as though I was getting signs that I shouldn't be here. I still don't quite know what to think.
Once I got to Maggie's things became much easier. I visited with her for a while, and after a bit I passed out on her couch, though not thinking that I was sleeping that hard. Apparently I was snoring... hmmm. I then left, and had coffee with Tim Bartlett, another Pioneer Playhouser from this summer. We sat in Times Square and drank our delicious Starbucks drinks. Yes, you heard me right, we SAT in Times Square! Yes in the two years I've been gone, much has changed. Virgin Records has closed, a new TKTS booth has been erected, and most importantly a good chunk of the times square street has been converted into a walkway/patio area. It just looks SO different!
Coffee with Tim was lots of fun. We talked about how things after college could get pretty lonely. It was nice to hear someone echo the same sentiment that I had been feeling. It's interesting. This summer, Tim and I didn't necessarily get along. If I had to use any word to describe our relationship, it would be one of indifference. But I had SUCH a good time talking! After our coffee, I headed out to pizza with Angie and Chris. These two had yet ANOTHER perspective about what it's like to live in NYC. Honestly, I could see it in Angie's eyes: she is NOT happy here. She misses her friends, and isn't getting the work to make up for the fact that she's not living in Seattle with the big contingent of MSU folks that are out there. This makes me think that, in my decision on where to live, who is near by might be important! After pizza, I went to desert with Serena. She is doing amazingly. Her sublet is BEAUTIFUL! My goodness, I don't know how she got it, but she is supes lucky. And her show opens Friday, and she got me comp to the show! Serena was definitely an example of what happens if you are working. She didn't seem nearly as down trodden as Angie, or me for that matter. Hmm... all food for thought.
I honestly would write more, but gonna get up at a fairly decent hour tomorrow to go and audition for a touring children's production company! :) I'm nervous, and a little apprehensive, but I'll explain all that later.
Oh, also, I had a REALLY good iPod Shuffle day. Whilst in the subway: Another Hundred People. Walking around the city, Dreams and I Guess the Lord Must Be in New York City. There were others too, my poor brain just can't think anymore. Okay, sleep time now! More to come, I promise!
P.S. I ate a Times Square bagel today! YUM!
No comments:
Post a Comment