Sunday, April 25, 2010

Nostalgia... it'll hit you in the face.

So...
-I realize that I haven't been on here in a while. This is due in part to the fact that that I started a Twitter. It's to much easier to "blog" on Twitter. While YES I do only get 140 characters per entry, at the same time it's so instantaneous! So, even though I'm not SUPPOSED to be tweeting at work, at the same time, I am able to do so, and BOOM convey my thoughts.
-I saw Nikki's thesis show, Virgin Territory this weekend. It is so bizarre that this is her thesis show. My last deeply good friend is graduating MSU. Anyhow it was a beautiful piece of theatre. The integration of straight play, music and dance was fantastic. Honestly, having dance pieces in a play is normally not something that I would buy into. Dance isn't my language. And while I can appreciate it, I've rarely seen it done in a way that I was able to understand it, and in a way that moved me. This did both. It truly furthered the story in a, pardon the expression, musical theatre way. The dance was as needed for the story as much as some of the dialogue was. Speaking of the dialogue, it was written in a way that was so real for me. Granted, the charecters talk like Nikki would, her being the author and all, but still, it had this aspect of verisimilitude to it that I really appreciated. I wanted to be these character's friends! It was a well constructed world that I found really easy to get into.
-After the show, I got nostalgic. I became nostalgic for a time where I was on stage and was producing work that I was truly proud of. This led me to dig out some DVD's of shows I was in at school. While a part of me feels ashamed of this, another part says who cares? I'm not the mom in the second season episode of Buffy who watches her dead son's football tapes. I wouldn't even call it wallowing. I was just reminiscing, by myself. So I watched The History Boys first. I will admit to fast forwarding to my scenes only. :) However I began to use it as a learning tool. I've never quite studied myself before, and learned what worked and what didn't, etc. I found myself very engaged in the show, which I guess was a good thing. After that I watched Dog Sees God. Partially because Adam Moen came up to me, said he had watched it and what a good show it was. Partially because I saw Kelsey Strong last night and I miss that girl. Partially because Katie Moeller wrote on my Facebook wall. Partially because during Virgin Territory, I was inspired, and reminded of how inspired I was during DSG much in part due to Nikki. For all these reasons I watched it. I am immensely proud of this show. I cried at the end. Hard. And I feel as though it was actually due to the story, and the script rather than an "Oh, I miss this" cry. We all know I'm a Charlie Brown nerd, and I had forgotten how much this show touches that part of me. I think that I am still the most proud of that piece of theatre, than any other that I've done. I'm not saying it's the best... I'm just saying it's the thing I'm most proud of :)


1 comment:

  1. :) I am proud of that show too. And of you. And of me. And of us.

    ReplyDelete