Sunday, October 4, 2009

Addiction

I am an addict. And I don't mean in the typical way (Well I suppose I do... but well you'll see). I have an addictive personality. When I "get into" something I really "get into" it. According to my Dad, I have always been like this. When I was younger I would walk into the kitchen in every house that I went into, and look to see if they had an electric mixer. I would say Kitchenaide specifically, since that what my family has, but I don't know that it really mattered to me in my toddler mind set. I had a toy mixer that I played with. I called them all "min-er" Anyhow the point of that rambling was that I become addicted to various things. It all started with the "min-er" but soon moved on to: Cinderella, Mary Poppins, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast (or just all Fairy Tales, specifically Disney, in general,), Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, Peanuts comic strips, Musical Theatre, performing in theatre, movies, and buying dvd's. Looking back, I think that this aspect of my personality is what makes it so hard to get over relationships. I become almost addicted to the guy I'm dating. And that's not a good thing for him or me. But it happens. My most recent addiction is clothing. I've never been much of a clothes horse, and have always considered this an extremely good thing. I've usually spent my hard earned cash on DVD's and have been content to do so. But lately, ever since seeing Matthew Morrison's outfits in "Glee" to be precise, I have been going CRAZY buying clothes. I've barely bought a single movie or television season since returning from Kentucky this summer. Looking back I think that going to England may have had something to do with my sudden addiction to clothing. All of a sudden I'm going online looking for some specific item of clothing that I feel I really need. But I need to be done! That's the other thing about my addictions: I recognize them pretty easily. So though I desperately want a nice cardigan sweater, and few more ties, I am cutting myself off. I'm going to use my ability to rationalize in order to stop myself from buying any more clothes. Alright, now that I've put that out there, I can let it go.

Often times when I am participating in day to day life, I'll often think "Oh! I should blog about that". But then I forget or I never get around to it. I've not thought of any of these things to share here, but I thought I would mention something.

I need to get to sleep. But quickly before I do, I for some reason, usually only clean if it's after 3 am. Why is that? Hmmm... something to muse upon.

2 comments:

  1. Ironically, we had the cardigan convo today.
    You are an addict. I'm glad you know this.
    So am I. I'm glad I know this too.
    But I super glad the both of us choose silly things like cult TV shows, books, clothing and eye shadow to be addicted to...and not something that could steal our future to find new future obscure addictions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i put coffee on my credit card today. enough said... oh, addiction.

    ReplyDelete